Friday, June 15, 2007

About the Name...

I suppose I ought to explain some of the background to the name of my blog.

Nailing Jelly to a tree

First of all we can get the Geography a Language bits out of the way.
Jelly in this instance is take to be the English form, that the Americans call Jello and the Germans refer to as Wakkelpuding.
The idea is that this blog provides me with a vehicle that allows me to describe intellectual thought processes which on in the initial instance sound somewhat trivial. Like nailing jelly to a tree. Jelly in the English tradition has a somewhat interesting viscosity problem. When you apply sufficient wobble force to it, it tends to sheer and split.
Nails are traditionally applied with a hammer. This introduces forces and shocks to the shaft of the nail driving it into the tree. Unfortunately, these same forces and shocks will cause the Jelly to split.
This then introduces some intellectual thought processes around how to get the nail into the tree whilst still maintaining sufficient adhesion on the Jelly.

My intention is that this blog will provide me with the means to discuss similarly simple sounding projects that on closer inspection are a lot more complicated than they at first seem. Given that I work in and around the area of Investment Banking, quite a lot of these thought processes will in some way be related to the processes and developments that happen in that environment.

No comments: